Deadline: January 19, 2020
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), was launched by the United States Government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
The YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa targets young men and women between the ages of 18 and 35 from Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
The YALI RLC, West Africa is located on the GIMPA campus, Accra, Ghana.
Reasons to Apply to the YALI:
- At the end of the programs participants will be awarded with certificate and become a member of the Yali Alumni
- Participants will be taking through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership role in their various endeavors.
YALI Tracks/What YALI Offers:
- Business and Entrepreneurship:
This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civil Society Management:
This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Policy and Management:
This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Accra (if required)
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Accra, Ghana
- Transportation to/from Kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra, for all non-Ghanaian participants
- For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra will be provided for from your location of residence
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan during the course
- Housing and meals
- The Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Ghana if you are residing within one of the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra. If you reside outside of the defined region, YALI will only pay the cost of transportation to/from Accra from your country of citizenship and you will be required to cover any additional costs
- 11 February, 2020: Online Training Begins
- 10 March, 2020: Onsite Training in Ghana Begins
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is a merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition.
- All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel.
- Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business, and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.